Obtaining a tourist licence - France

Modified on Fri, 22 Dec 2023 at 11:23 AM

The regulations surrounding short-term rentals in France differ depending on whether you are renting your main home or a second home.


Renting your main home

Otherwise known as your ‘principal residence’ where you live for a minimum of 8 months of the year. Under French law, this cannot be rented out for more than 120 days per year. If you rent out your main home (in its entirety) for less than 120 days per year, generally, you do not have to declare this to your local municipal government (the town hall or Mairie), except for properties in Paris, Lyon, and Bordeaux, where specific, more restrictive regulations apply. Full details about the steps involved in renting your main home in France are available here.


Renting a second home

Usually defined as a property that the owner occupies for less than 4 months of the year, these can be rented without any limitation on the number of days in any one year. The most important point to be aware of is that properties that owners wish to rent for tourist purposes must be registered with the local town hall or Mairie. This is done using the CERFA application form.


Once your property has been registered, you’ll receive an acknowledgment and your all-important registration number. This number must be displayed on all listings for the property. Many sites will now not allow you to list your property without this number. Full details about the steps involved in renting a second home in France are available here.



The fine for unregistered primary residences that are not declared in the local town hall is €5,000. If a primary residence is rented out for more than 120 days, fines of up to €10 000 may apply.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article